How do I get water service in my name?

Initiating service requires a completed application, a deposit, and a service fee. The application may be submitted in person, online, or by email. If you do not receive a phone call from a Utility Billing representative confirming your form has been received, please contact us at 972.874.6010. The deposit and service fee can be paid at the time of application or billed to the account.

Find service applications and utility deposit costs here.