Traffic Signal Box Art Project
The Town of Flower Mound invites artists to compete for the chance to display an original design on a traffic signal box within the Town. The traffic boxes that will be wrapped are located throughout Flower Mound, enhancing and beautifying the Town’s landscape. This project also provides an opportunity for local artists to display their work in a public space.
This year, the Town will select three artist proposals to cover three designated traffic signal boxes. This will be an annual contest in which 3-4 new proposals will be chosen each year, for a total of 20 wrapped boxes when it is complete.
The Town will accept proposals based on two themes, “The Flowers of Flower Mound” and “Celebrating Cultural Diversity.” Artist proposals for the “Flowers of Flower Mound” theme can include any type of flower, with all ranges of styles are welcome. Proposals for “Celebrating Cultural Diversity” can include images of cultural specific celebrations or other significant imagery that reflects the unique beauty of cultures represented in Flower Mound.
Artists should submit a digital design that can be converted to a digitally-printed wrap. Only digital submissions will be accepted. The winners will have their names engraved on a plaque that will hang in the Flower Mound Public Library, receive a certificate, in addition to being featured on the Town's social media channels and in local newspapers.
The chosen artwork will be displayed on the traffic signal box for a period of at least two years. When the wrap needs to be replaced, new artwork will be chosen.
Traffic Signal Boxes
The dimensions of the signal boxes are as follows, with a bit of differentiation for some of the boxes:
54” high x 44” wide x 27” deep with an attached UPS Cabinet of 46.5” high x 16.5” wide x 16.5” deep
The Selection Process
The competition is open to artists of all ages residing in Denton County, with preference given to Flower Mound residents. Artists may submit one design, per category. Proposals will be screened for completeness and winners will be selected based upon appropriateness, creativity, craftsmanship, and adherence to the theme.
Winning designs will remain on the assigned traffic signal box for a minimum of two years. Should damage occur to the box prior to that, the same design will be reinstalled. After two years, should the integrity of the wrap start to fade, damage to the box occur, or a new box be installed, a new design will be added to the box.
All traffic signal boxes will be vinyl wrapped based on winning designs. Entries should be submitted in the following format:
- Photographs of paintings or work created by hand should be at least 4000 pixels.
- Digital work should be sent in vector files.
- High resolution PDFs are preferable.
- If the design is completed using InDesign on a PC, please send a packaged .idml or .inx file with all linked images and fonts. If it was built on a Mac, please outline all type, and send a packaged. idml or .inx file with all linked images.
Using the design template in the application form as a guide, please indicate where the proposed design would fit on each face of the traffic signal box. If it is the same image repeated on each side, please indicate that as well.
Winners will be chosen by a selection committee and will be notified via email and/or phone.
- All designs should be the original work of the artist.
- Designs should not include any trademarks, brands, or any sort of advertisements.
- The design should be created to flow across all faces of the box and reflect a unified work of art.
- The design should include little to no print, as it is distracting to drivers to try and read.
- Artists will be invited to sign their work once it is installed.