I.N. the Know FAQs

I think my son or daughter is abusing drugs or alcohol. Where do I start?
The first step is to have an assessment done. A 60 to 90-minute assessment by a licensed professional can often give parents a clear picture of what their child is struggling with and determine if treatment is needed. The Seay Center in Plano provides free assessments Monday – Thursday, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Seay Behavioral Health Center

How do I test my teen for drugs or alcohol?
Families are the first line of defense in preventing drug use by children. Lewisville-based Watchdog Solutions can provide alcohol and drug tests, educate parents on countermeasures, and provide directions to perform the test. Watchdog also helps parents become familiar with the various types, signs, and effects of drugs. In addition to the drug tests, they have resources and information about therapists, counselors, detox, and treatment centers.


I just found out my teen is using drugs and feel completely overwhelmed. Where can I find some peer support, other parents who have been through this?
Winning the Fight is a non-profit organization founded by Kathy O’Keefe here in Flower Mound. Kathy lost her teenage son Brett in 2010 due to drug use and is an excellent resource for families. WTF provides education, professional resources for families, abusers, and addicts, and a complete series of networking tools to assist with sobriety. WTF can also assist with providing drug test kits at a reduced cost.

Winning the Fight

Does the school have any resources when it comes to substance abuse?
The LISD CHOICES - Safe and Drug Free Schools Program provides education and resources to parents and students at the elementary, middle, and high school levels.

Choices-Safe and Drug Free Schools

My teen was arrested for drugs or alcohol. What happens next?
Families entering the adult or juvenile legal system for a drug or alcohol-related offense can be overwhelmed. While we cannot give legal advice, we can explain the process so you can make educated choices. Fear of the unknown or what’s going to happen next is sometimes the hardest part.
This year has been really tough! I feel my family needs counseling. Where can I go?
Youth and Family Counseling (Y&FC) offers individuals and their families six free 50-minute counseling sessions, through a referral from your local Police Department. Issues routinely handled by Y&FC include: ADD, truancy, single parent issues, anger, grief therapy, impulse control, anxiety disorders, and many more.

Youth and Family Counseling
105 Kathryn Drive, Suite 3A
Lewisville, Texas 75067

Do we have NA or AA groups that meet here in Flower Mound, Lewisville, Highland Village?
We have two groups that meet here locally- “A Daily Reprieve” and “Carry the Message.” They hold both open and closed meetings providing support for the addict and those family members affected by addiction.


I am a single parent. Does Flower Mound, Lewisville, or Highland Village have any Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization in the area?
As the nation’s largest volunteer supported mentoring network, Big Brothers/Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers and children ages 6 through 18. They develop positive relationships that have a direct and lasting effect on the lives of young people.

BBBS Lone Star (http://www.bbbstx.org)
723 - I-35
Denton, TX 76205

Where can I dispose of unwanted prescription medication
that I don’t want to end up in the hands of my teenager or the water supply?

The Flower Mound & Highland Village Police Departments have a Medication Disposal Bin located in the Police Department that is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The service is free and no appointment is needed.

Flower Mound Police Department
4150 Kirkpatrick Lane
Flower Mound Texas 75028

Highland Village Police Department
1000 Highland Village Road
Highland Village Texas 75077